Apr. 2013 to Present
Managed and developed two graphic ¬designers augmented by three freelance designers to design all print and digital marketing materials for clients. Design concepts for displays using sketching and 3D CAD (Solidworks.) Responsible for a high standard of quality and maintaining design intent of displays through production. Report to President and Executive Director of Operations for the first six years, and the Creative Director since.
- Interviewer for three positions, hiring great contributors all who were with the company 4+ years.
- Lead team through redesign and further updates of the Walmart entertainment section, requiring 50+ print designs per round.
- Wrote all the copy for the new company page by taking copywriting and digital marketing courses.
- Rebranded Matrix to be perceived as innovative, intelligent, and friendly by researching, defining objectives, leading brainstorming sessions, and convincing key decision-makers. Managed a team of two graphic designers, a web designer, and a web developer to redesign the website, all marketing collateral, and internal documents within a four-month schedule.
- Directed the team that designed all print material for Little Ceasar’s locations across Canada.
- Redesigned and launched Italpasta.com, the website for a national food brand. Worked with an outside developer to have the website highly visual while loading ins less than 1.2 seconds.
- Art directed the packaging and branding of the Italpasta Selezione De-Bronzo premium pasta line.
- Won the “ITWAL Marketplace, Supplier Performance Award” for 2018, which recognized the Italpasta tradeshow booth design.
- Won a competitive RFP process ran by Royal Canin for their business to design and construct the product shelving and signage in all the veterinary clinics across Canada that carried their food.
- Wrote the technical specifications and sourced all computers and networking equipment required by the design department and print production people.
- Rolled out Microsoft Teams over two weeks to prepare for COVID-19 work-from-home policy. Installed it on every computer, determining policies, wrote out training documents, and trained employees both individually and in groups.
Graphic Design, Industrial Designer
Oct. 2010 to April 2013
Designed concepts for permanent and corrugate displays using sketching and 3D CAD (Solidworks.) Graphic design of print materials for entertainment clients. Responsible for the company blog. Reported to the studio manager.
- Grew revenue by signing a large client, Ubisoft, by pitching novel concepts that spoke to their priorities, franchises, and brand.
- Furthered relationship with Ubisoft by designing standees referred to by the client as “just perfect.”
- Won bid for Batman Arkham City Canadian retail rollout by designing innovative concepts.
- Increased efficiency of the design department by introducing sketching as a concept visualization tool.
- Decreased time to market and increased production quality by introducing Solidworks.
- Decreased the production cost of a corrugate display by over 50% by reducing the number of corrugate sheets per display and using 82% of what remained.
- Redesigned the entertainment section of all Walmarts across Canada with all-new category signage, endcap signage, and three new feature displays in “action alley.” Lead the team that refreshed all signage six times over eighteen months to feature new movies, music, and video games.
Sept 2008 to Oct. 2010
Responsible for the industrial design of retail displays and fixtures using 3D CAD (Solidworks). Set creative direction for corrugate displays. Provided sales department with 3D renderings, and helped manufacturing quote and fulfill orders with technical specifications. Reported to General Manager. Worked with clients such as Cadbury, Nestle, Clorox, Reckitt Benckiser, Husky Foods, Hain Celestial, and many more.
- Had 5 out of 5 product concepts pitched to Kraft for Jell-O move on to market testing.
- Won a competitive RFP for Cadbury’s primary convenience store display, playing both a design and sales role.
- Won a competitive RFP for 90% of Cadbury’s Canadian corrugate floor display business.
Jr. Industrial Designer, Intern
May 2006 to September 2006
Responsible for the concept visualization and graphic design of retail displays for the electronics manufacturers. Apprenticed under the founder of Red Leaf. Responsible for the Sony “HD World” display. Sony was the primary client I worked with, but I also serviced Meijer, Bell, and many more.
- Part of a team that successfully sold and executed HD World, selling for $10,000+ each, and $300,000+ overall.
- Learned professional graphic design through apprenticeship.
Other Relevant Creative Experience
Writer and Editor
Dec. 2016 to Present
Founded brandmarketingblog.com, a resource for executives, founders, marketing professionals, and designers, which is read by over 14,000 people every month. Wrote articles that rank number one on over 100 Google search terms. Interview luminaries of brand marketing. Interviewed Jay Baer (NY Times bestselling marketing author), Robert Deluce (CEO, Porter Airlines), Alexander Mimran (CEO, Minbox), and others. Wrote an article that became required reading at a university.
Sept 2016 to Present
Redesigned and rebranded soccerpracticebooks.com for better conversion rates (email signup and book sales). Implemented WordPress + WooCommerce. Started and designed weekly email newsletter, via MailChimp.
- Three straight quarters of increased sales conversion rates, both sales, and email signups.
- Increased revenue by 36% in 8 months.
Author and Illustrator
The Neverborn Saga, Book 1: Tessellation
May 2014 to Present
Wrote a sci-fi adventure book about a young woman who finds herself on the outside of her utopian society while trying to save her mother, and discovers her world isn’t what it seemed. Wrote 76,000, drew 5 illustrations. Designed branding, cover, and website. Currently being edited for launch.
Bachelor of Industrial Design, with distinction
Carleton University, 2007
Expert Level Skills
Skills in which I have a level of expertise and could train others in.
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe Illustrator CC
- Microsoft Powerpoint
- Sketching, Digital
- Sketching, Tradition Media
- Graphic Design
- Logo Design
- Brand Identity Design
- Design for Print
- Leading Brainstorming Sessions
Skills in which I can accomplish tasks with a high level of quality.
- Adobe Indesign CC
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Lightroom
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Design for Web & Apps
- Technical Drawing
- Ahrefs SEO Tools
- SEO Research
- Writing Social Media Posts
Working Level Skills
Skills where I can accomplish tasks with some personal research.
Adobe After Effects
• Adobe Audition
• Adobe Media Encoder
• 3D Studio Max
Please give me a call or send me an email. You can find my contact information on the contact page.